At the Christmas period we like to start the day off with a high protein fun breakfast. This recipe is great for kids to help with. We have a four year old daughter and she loves learning about the different foods and experiencing the smells and colours as they combine together in this tasty treat.
This is a great idea for using leftovers in an easy, fun and attractive breakfast or snack.
– Gently fry 1 large or 2 small onions. I like to use Spanish onions for their sweetness.
– Cut, dice or shred any leftover meat. Turkey, ham, pork or gammon are ideal. Individually or mixed together.
– Season the meat and onions with sea salt and pepper.
– If you would like to spice this dish up, you can add a small red chilli.
– Take the pan from the heat and allow to cool down enough to handle.
– In a bowl, beat six eggs and a handful of grated Cheddar.
– Add the fried meat and onions and stir thoroughly in the bowl.
– Roughly dice four or so fresh basil leaves. This is the secret ingredient, and brings a subtle light flavour to muffins.
– Using a measuring cup, pour the mixture evenly into a greased muffin tin.
– The Frittatas will need 20 – 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180°C until golden brown.